Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Puffin


Puffin Tutorial and News

Writing this pattern today, I'm in my usual work uniform. I realize I look a mess! Clothes (barely not pj's); hair held by a pen or crochet hook; and an apron  Always an apron. I don't know about all of you, but I'm so messy. When I do the dishes, I splash dirty water. When I craft, there's always glue and glitter stuck to me. The point to this ramble is that I only have one apron. Daily messes and only one apron: MADNESS! Someday, I will put down my hook for a minute and pull out my sewing machine. When that day comes, one million aprons will be made. (or at least a couple). What kind of pockets on an apron would be beneficial for crocheters? Please leave suggestions in the comments section below. 

In other news, my 2 year anniversary is this weekend. I have been working on some super fun crafts for Brian which I will share next week- so I don't spoil the surprise. 

I finally made my very first Etsy sale. I make most of my sales at local craft fairs and through my facebook (https://www.facebook.com/KristensKords). I had almost given up on Etsy, but after the sale, I have renewed hope. I listed some new things on there and I'm crossing my fingers. https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristensKords

I have also decided to start my own website. I would just like everything all in one place. It will have a section for my blog (the free tutorials/patterns will continue, don't worry); another section for sales. I was also thinking a section for stories of how the animal was made. This will be geared towards children, so they can see the story of thier animal and see the process of creating him or her. I think this will make a ncie addition to just selling an animal. I would love to have a section where people can post picture with thier animals; allowing them to show off the adventures of thier new friend. I will add details in future blog posts as things develop with the website creation. 

Supplies

4mm Crochet hook
Yarn needle
12 mm safety eyes
Poly fiber fill
Caron one pound Jonquil (yellow)
Caron one pound white
Caron one pound black
Red heart simply soft pumpkin (orange)
Red heart with love pewter (gray)


Abbreviations


Sc: single crochet
Inc: single crochet increase (two sc in one stitch)
St: stitch
Sl: slip stitch
Ch: chain
Dec: invisible decrease (tutorial available in the hippo blog post)

Notes

This puffin is 8 inches tall with a 6 inch circumference. 
This pattern is worked in a continuous round. Do not join at the end of each round, use a place marker and count your stitches often.
If you like this pattern, please share it, but link back to this blog. (kristenscrochet.blogspot.com). You may sell completed dolls at local craft fairs, but please do not sell on Etsy or any other online forum. Do not sell this pattern, I wish for it to remain free for everyone to enjoy.
Thank you for your respect.
If you love this pattern, consider a donation. A little bit goes a long way in keeping the weekly free patterns coming. Thank you and enjoy this tutorial!
Watch for text in italics and in red for special instructions! 
This little puffin is pretty easy to make and will make a snuggly favorite for anyone!

Fun facts about Puffins: According to National Geographic, puffins can swim to depths of 200 feet and fly up to 55 miles an hour!


Head

In black
R1: ch 2, in second from ch, sc 6. You may use the magic loop if you prefer. (6)
R2: inc in each stitch around (12)
R3: (1sc, inc) x6 (18)
R4: (2sc, inc) x6 (24)
R5: (3sc, inc) x6 (30)
R6: (4sc, inc) x6 (36)
R7-13: sc around (36)
R14: (4sc, dec) x6 (30)
R15: (3sc, dec) x6 (24)
Fasten off. Weave in tail.

Body

In black
R1: ch 2, in second from ch, sc 6. You may use the magic loop if you prefer. (6)
R2: inc in each stitch around (12)
R3: (1sc, inc) x6 (18)
R4: (2sc, inc) x6 (24)
R5: (3sc, inc) x6 (30)
R6: (4sc, inc) x6 (36)
R7: (5sc, inc) x6 (42)
R8: (6sc, inc) x6 (48)
R9: (7sc, inc) x6 (54)
R10-13: sc around (54)
R14: (7sc, dec) x6 (48)
R15-18: sc around (48)
R19: (6sc, dec) x6 (42)
R20: (5sc, dec) x6 (36)
R21: (4sc, dec) x6 (30)
R22: (3sc, dec) x6 (24)
R23-24: sc around (24)
Fasten off, leave long tail for sewing.

Belly circle

In white
R1: ch 2, in second from ch, sc 6. You may use the magic loop if you prefer. (6)
R2: inc in each stitch around (12)
R3: (1sc, inc) x6 (18)
R4: (2sc, inc) x6 (24)
R5: (3sc, inc) x6 (30)
R6: (4sc, inc) x6 (36)
Fasten off, leave long tail for sewing.

Feet (make 2)

In orange
R1: ch 2, in second from ch, sc 6. You may use the magic loop if you prefer. (6)
R2: sc around (6)
R3: inc in each stitch around (12)
R4: sc around (12)
R5: (1sc, inc) x6 (18)
R6: sc around (18)
R7: (2sc, inc) x6 (24)
R8: sc around (24)
Now you will need to close the foot. It will not be stuffed. Put a single crochet through each pair of stitches across. fasten off and hide your tail. 

Wings (make 2)

In black
R1: ch 2, in second from ch, sc 6. You may use the magic loop if you prefer. (6)
R2: sc around (6)
R3: inc in each stitch around (12)
R4-5: sc around (12)
R6: (1sc, inc) x6 (18)
R7: sc around (18)
R8: (2sc, inc) x6 (24)
R9-10: sc around (24)
R11: (3sc, inc) x6 (30)
R12-13: sc around (30)
R14: (3sc, dec) x6 (24)
Fasten off, leaving long tail for sewing.

Beak

In orange
R1: ch 2, in second from ch, sc 6. You may use the magic loop if you prefer. (6)
R2: sc around (6)
R3: inc in each st around (12)
R4: sc around (12)
R5: (1sc, inc) x6 (18)
R6: sc around (18)
Change to yellow
R7: sc around (18)
Change to gray
R8: (2sc, inc) x6 (24)
R9: sc around (24)
Fasten off, leave long tail for sewing.


Eye circles (make 2)

In white
R1: ch 2, in second from ch, sc 6. You may use the magic loop if you prefer. (6)
R2: inc in each stitch around (12)
R3: (1sc, inc) x6 (18)
R4: (2sc, inc) x6 (24)
Fasten off, leaving long tail for sewing.

Tail

In black
R1: ch 2, in second from ch, sc 6. You may use the magic loop if you prefer. (6)
R2: sc around (6)
R3: inc in each stitch around (12)
R4: sc around (12)
R5: (1sc, inc) x6 (18)
R6: sc around (18)
R7: (2sc, inc) x6 (24)
R8: sc around (24)
Fasten off, leave long tail for sewing.

Assembly

Before stuffing, sew belly circle to body. Stuff body.

Before stuffing, attach beak to head.

Put safety eyes through eye circles and attach to head. Stuff head.

Sew head onto body, add stuffing as needed.


Very lightly stuff wings and sew onto sides of body.
Stuff tail and sew onto back of body.


Sew feet onto the bottom of the body. 

Give your puffin a fantastic name and love him or her forever and ever!